Wednesday, August 11, 2010

El Mercado

There is an open market a few blocks down from the house that is absolutely massive. Today was my first venture there but I'm sure it will not be my last. I hope to return and take some pictures to show. I was quite intimidated on my first visit. Primarily because I don't feel adept to communicate with the vendors and various other people talking to you in the aisles. The market sells vegetables, fruit, meats, clothes and other household products and pretty much anything else you can imagine. Bargaining is a way of life there and things rarely sell for their asking price. But it is cheap cheap cheap either way. What struck me the most at first was that this was not a place for vegetarians. There were chickens hanging with the guts hanging out in all their glory. Chicken feet are plentiful and must be quite popular. Full animals hang, not sure what they are, perhaps goats. Leaving the market I saw pigs in a bag, quite heartbreaking to say the least. I could feel my stomach churn; this may take some getting used to. There were more bananas than I thought could be in one place. Literally streets full of bananas. Big, little, plantains. You name it. I ended up with carrots (one carrot may be the thickness of 4 carrots, incredible) and bananas. A good start I suppose. People walk around with wheel barrows asking to carry your things. I couldn't understand them and so at first thought they were asking if I would like a ride. I'm sure they would do that to. I will definitely return to the market. I'm sure it will be a great way to work on my spanish and get some good veggies and fruits for next to nothing. Tomorrow I'll write about the taxis, quite an experience each and every time...

No comments:

Post a Comment