Thursday, August 19, 2010

Lots of people in tight spaces...and other various observations

It´s been some time since my last post, due mostly to the lack of internet in the house currently. But I´ve found a locutorio (essentially a convenient store with internet and telephones) that has fast internet and cost about 40 cents an hour. So here I am.

It´s incredible in Peru how resourceful the people are when it comes to space. The combis, or mini-buses, that crowd the city streets pack the riders in like sardines. One person hangs out the front door yelling to people on the street the destination of the combi, hoping they will jump on. Often you hear cries of ¨Huanchaco, Huanchaco¨ which is the beach town nearby. The bus may stop for you to get on, but you can´t always be sure it will come to a complete stop when you are getting off. More surprising than the buses, however, are how many people ride in one taxi or even on a bicycle. Usually the volunteers share a taxi to work or wherever else we may be going. Rather than 7 people taking 2 taxis (how silly) we jam pack into one. Unlike in Boston, where fitting even 5 people into one taxi is some sort of sin, the drivers generally don´t mind and don´t charge anymore. Even more amazing, are how bicycles are used in El Porvenir. El Porvenir is the district of Trujillo where the SKIP offices are located. It´s a very impovershed area here in the desert with scant resources. It´s not uncommon to see a father riding a bicycle with 2 or 3 children placed in various places on the bike. I was surprised when, after working in the nursery, the older brother of a 4 year old boy came to pick him up. The 8 year old took his 4 year old brother onto his bike and they rode home together like that. It´s truly a different world, yet similar at the same time. I´m still becoming accustomed and learning cultural norms, which happens to be fascinating for me. I think if I could spend my life becoming immersed in new cultures and learning new languages I would never get bored. However, reality calls.

But, for the time being, here I am :)

No comments:

Post a Comment